April 16, 2012

I'm Back! For those of you who haven't completely ran away and abandoned all hope that I would return....

     So I guess I have been gone from the blogging world since October. My apologies, but I was sort of busy creating and nurturing a human life. Anything I would have blogged about would have been about frequent urination, sleep deprivation, mood swings and/or a sexually frustrated husband. Seriously, as if we didn't have to be acrobatic enough with the whole foot height difference we had to add 30 pounds of belly to work around? Plus, no woman wants to get their freak on when their husband says it is like, "fucking the bottom of a basketball..." yeah, nice! Now that I just re-read this, I could have wrote some funny shit. Sorry again, sleep was priority after being away from home 12-13 hour days.

     Anyhoo - Baby Boy is here! He arrived 3 weeks ago in dramatic fashion. Week 39 of pregnancy brought on pre-eclampsia scares which landed my swollen ass (really just my feet and face were swollen) at home - no more work or social life for this girl! Just a few days over due brought some fun contractions that made us do the 40 mile drive to the hospital, then get sent home because they stalled, then we were back because of some issues with my pee that morning. Thanks pee for getting the ball rolling!

     The Dr. decided to help me along with a hormone strip thing placed way, way up my yoohoo (far enough that later 2 nurses had to work to get it out, thanks for that fun time Doc). 2 hours later I was in full on back labor, I felt nothing in the front at all and my cervix gave us all the middle finger by staying closed shut. The nurses kept checking on me and I heard, "happy baby" repeatedly even though Mommy was dying. I let the phrase "elective c section" slip and within 20 minutes the Dr. was in. My blood pressure continued to spike (I remember one top number read at 209) and since the baby was full term the Dr. agreed the c section was the way to go.

     A very short time later I was getting my first spinal ever and feeling like someone was crocheting in my stomach. I heard the Dr. say, "big baby boy" and remember looking over and just staring at this perfect little human getting measured and wiped down. His cry was perfect and I remember telling my Husband how much I loved his little voice. Husband got to leave the room with the baby while they pieced me back together. This also brought fun sensations that had me asking, "is that my belly button," and hearing, "Nope, we are about 6 inches lower than that." Ack - my Husband did feel the need to say to my Dad, "I can now say that I know your Daughter inside and out," because he did see my organs before leaving with Baby.

     Breastfeeding was not something I ever really wanted to do, but I felt the need to at least attempt it. I think every nurse had their hands on my boobs at some point. There is nothing quite like trying to sit up after being sliced open, hold an 8 pound 3 ounce baby and cup your boob - talk about difficult. The best advice I got was from the nurse that shares a name with me, she told me "hold your boob like you would a big mac - a c shape." Oh lord, if you ever hear my husband say anything about gnawing on a big mac, you know now what he means.

     Baby Boy didn't really feed well the first 24 hours and I was finally able to talk a nurse who was NOT a boob nazi into giving him a bottle. Baby took to that like a pro, proceeded to vomit the entire bottle back up and then within an hour start vomiting old blood. We were told that can be normal after a c section. The nurse then slyly asked if she could take Baby for the night to do his hearing and other newborn tests. "Sure, I will get some sleep." The next morning when I went to check on him, we were told that he continued to vomit burp rags fulls of old blood (it looked like coffee grounds I guess) during the night and this meant it couldn't be blood from the c section - it was his blood. Holy, sound the alarm bells - assume super Mommy freak out mode!!! Long story short, the solution was to put him on a special formula by a 24 hour feeding tube and Zantac. Fast forward to next day, 7 a.m. a nurse pulled his stomach contents out again and NO BLOOD!! WOO TO THE HOO:) We were finally told the bleeding they saw with our baby was the worst they had seen - the nurse from the night shift told us on her morning shift that she really expected to come in and have to call the University hospital to take our baby.

     There is our dramatic birth story in a shortened version. Baby is doing well now, gained a full pound in his first 6 days home from the hospital and is really an easy Baby *knock on wood*. Since I am already looking for stuff to do during my days when baby is sleeping, I am hoping to get my blog on again. Here goes nothing!

1 comment:

Lin said...

Congratulations on your new baby & coming back to the blogging world! We missed you :)